Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I found a photo on the street, the idea


"I found a photo on the street" was born because I had an idea inspired by an old family portrait. Years ago I shared an apartment with a friend of mine. We moved to the flat at same time and the first day living there my roommate hung a framed photo on the wall of the living room. The photo depicted a family wearing in a very old fashioned style, it looked as they were people living during 19th Century, in fact they were; the photo dated from 1891. I asked to my friend who the people in the photo were and he answered “my ancestors”. He always talked with respect about the photo and when we had visiting friends and they asked "Who were the people in the photo?" my roommate took it very seriously and always said “my ancestors”. A day my friend told me more about the origin of the photo. The photo appeared to him years ago while he was walking on the street, well, he found the framed photo among trash bags and picked up it because the image liked to him very much. He didn’t really know who were those people! When I knew that I didn’t think my friend was a liar because although the imaged people were apparent strangers, for my friend they were his real ancestors. He adopted the framed photo and also the image, the photo was owned by him and it got a particular symbolism and story. Now my friend is living in other city, of course the photo is with him and new people ask him about the people in the photo. 

Thinking about that story, I wonder if any framed photo on the street will be adopted by a person. I wonder, if I leave a photo on the street, will someone pick up it? Or maybe the photo will rest there for days until ending in a garbage truck.  On the street, a photo is in the thin red line of being trash or an esthetic object. What is the difference between that? I would like to know if my photos will be trash or they´ll be putt on a wall. I have got many things from the streets, useful things. So, if a photo is a useful thing, why won’t leave a photo expecting that someone will pick up it? If you find a photo on the street, will you take it with you? To know the answer, I have designed a partially controlled project because I want to know if the photo was founded for someone. If the photo travels to Chine, Egypt or Cuba, that’s another good story to know, it’ll be a plus but it won’t be le motif. I would like to know what´s the feeling of finding a framed photo on the street. What did who found the photo think or feel because of the apparition of the photo? “That’s a piece of trash”, “who forgot this photo here?” or “I´ll take it”. That’s what I want to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment