Sunday, February 12, 2012

The eighth abandoned photo is...lost!

Status: lost!

I told the story of this photo in a past comment; briefly, the photo is a personal tribute to Susan Sontag. Because of that, I abandoned the photo on the place where she lies. Even a note on the back of the framed photo invites to take it, I don't think people do it. On the gravestone, the photo isn't just a photo, it´s an offering, the photo is more than an artistic object, it's a symbolic and sacred object. On a gravestone the most simple and strange thing can be the most honorable object. People don't usuallly take an offering that has been made for someone. So, I must say I'm not surprised because I don't have news about "A burning plain and its methaphors" becasue I think that people have seen the photo think  it's an offering to Sontag. 

In the Parisian cementary where Sontag rest in peace there are many graves with offerings. Some tombstones look like an altar, that's the case of the Serge Gainsbourg's tombstone. Ok, that's a cult place! But there are some others graves with symbolic objects, graves of "no famous people". I was very surprised and charmed seeing those graves, I didn't expect that kind of cult to dead in a French cementery. In México, there is a especial festivity for leaving offering to dead people, it's called "The day of the dead". It happens every year on November 2nd, that day people offer everything you can imagine, for instance typical food, tequila, beer, cigarretes, personal stuff, photos, coins, everything! However the rest of the year there are only flowers on the tombs. I suppose that for many people, whatever time of the year or the place, is important to put something special on the gravestone of their beloved people. I hope someone will do that to me. By the way, if you have the eighth abandoned photo with you, will you tell me that? Will you do that for me?

A quiet fairly tale on a gravestone.

A Parisian Christmas tale on a gravestone.

No comments:

Post a Comment