Thursday, November 24, 2011

Eighth abandoned photo: A burning plain and its metaphors

 A burning plain and its metaphors, released on: 25/11/2011.
Size: 18 x 24 cm
Frame: 20 x 30 cm

The title "A burning plain and its metaphors" is in relation to the work of two of my favortites writers, Susan Sontag (1993-2004) and Juan Rulfo (1917-1986). Sontag wrote several novels and many essays; her most famous book is a collection of essays about photography "On photography" (1977), that is one of the most important books about photography in the 20th Century. As opposed to the prolific Sontag's work, Rulfo wrote only two books, "The burning plain and other stories" (1953) and "Pedro Páramo" (1955). However, the low production of Rulfo isn´t related to his high quality as author, "The burning plain..." and "Pedro Páramo" are considered ones of the most important books in the Spanish literature.

In addition to writing, Rulfo had another artistic interest- photography. Interestingly, Sontag  loved the Rulfo's work, not only his books but also his photographies. She considered Rulfo was one of the best photographers of the 20th Century. Last year, a book showing 100 Rulfo's photographies was published and editors of the book dedicated it to the memory of Sontag. The edition work of the book started years ago when Sontag was still alive, so the editors asked to Sontag a text for the book and she accepted, however because of health problems, Sontag cancelled the task. 

I must say I didn't know about the artistic connection between Sontang and Rulfo, I knew it last year when I read the story above in a brochure of a photography exhibition showing the Rulfo´s work printed in the book. I like very much Sontag's work and Rulfo's work, they're two of my artistic gurus. So, the image in "A burning plain and its metaphors" is inspired by the work of these great artists. I took the photo many years ago somewhere in México. I was on the road and than I saw the burning plain, I was in a car with some friends but we couldn't stopping on highway to take the photo, so, I took it while the car was running fast. 

I don't think someone will pick up this photo, althought if it happens, I'll be very vey happy. And I don't think it because I left it on the place where Sontag lies. So, I'm afraid people will think it's a souvenir object for her. But it's a gift for her and for anybody who find it. We'll see, we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment